Monday, February 21, 2011

Thinking Day around the World




This is my 20th year as a Girl Guide Leader. When I joined Guiding it was simply in order to have a unit for my then 5 year old middle daughter. I thought it was something my daughters needed and would enjoy but I had no idea what an adventure I was getting myself into. I can truly state that being a member of Girl Guides of Canada has helped me grow into the kind of woman I am today.


Thinking Day is a special day for Guiding and Scouting where we remember the people who began the Guiding and Scouting Movement but more importantly it is an opportunity to think of all the other Girls and women around the world who are part of the "Sisterhood of Guiding".

WAGGGS is short for the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts which is made up of member organizations in over a 144 countries. Please read the quote below or visit the WAGGGS site and search for more information regarding Thinking Day activities in your own country.

About World Thinking Day 2011

Millennium Development Goal 3: girls worldwide say "empowering girls will change our world"

Girls and women of all ages in many countries do not have the same opportunities as men. They do not have the same access to education as men - around 54 per cent of out-of-school children are girls. Women are underrepresented in the world’s parliaments and in the labour workforce, and earn far less than men.

The World Thinking Day theme for 2011 is ... girls worldwide say “empowering girls will change our world” and the aim is to raise awareness of the situation for many girls and young women and empower them to take a stand against inequality.

Gender equality and empowering women is the third of the eight areas of focus made by 189 world leaders at the United Nations Millennium Summit in 2000. It is part of the WAGGGS Global Action Theme, which encourages girls and young women to make a personal commitment to change the world around them by linking to an important global agenda: the United Nations Millennium Development Goals


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...