Saturday, April 28, 2012

HAWMC Day 27 The Good and the Bad


 5 Challenges & 5 Small Victories. 
Make a list of the 5 most difficult parts of your health focus. Make another top 5 list for the little, good things (small victories) that keep you going.



 
Hi! My name is Alicia and I am guest blogging for my mom today. I am a 27-year-old woman with ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder).  I was officially diagnosed as a six year old when I started grade one, but we did know I had ADHD before that.  I wanted to write on this particular prompt because many of the challenges with ADHD can also be positives. It really depends on what my mood is at the time or how I choose to look at a situation. Something that may be very good in some circumstances, like being aware of everything around me, can really help me at work and in emergency situations. At the same time it makes it very hard whenever I am asked to concentrate on some kinds of work or even pay attention while trying to have a conversation with a friend in a busy restaurant.


Good Things
  1.  I am aware of lots of things at the same time. ADHD makes me very close to being a multi-tasker.
  2. Sometimes I can hyper focus and give all of my attention to a single item of interest.  Give me a math challenge or a game and I have an advantage.
  3. I have lots of energy and I am always on the go.
  4. I learned at a young age to be an advocate for my own needs as a earning disabled girl and once I laws able to advocate for myself I began advocating for others and has turned into something I am very passionate about.
  5. Learning about ADHD helped me learn about brain function, which in turn helped with learning Psychology and Human Development courses in university.

 Challenges
  1.  I am constantly aware of so many distractions that it is hard to function. I even needed to take exams in an isolated room to eliminate distractions
  2. When I am over focused I really am not aware of what is going on around me and I do things like walk into traffic while daydreaming.
  3. I am constantly fidgeting and the fidgeting annoys other people. I am constantly picking things up in my hands and I am not even aware that I am handing them.
  4. Attention Deficit Disorder is an invisible disorder and people sometimes think I am just being weird, rude or stupid. They pick up that something is wrong but don’t automatically assume it is a disability. Even if I decide to tell someone I have ADHD I get reaction such as “No you can’t possibly have that”,  “but you are too smart to have that”,  “ADHD? What is that?”  or “I thought that was just something kids have not adults”.
  5. Schools are not set up for people with ADHD. You spend so much time stuck sitting down and having to pay attention for long periods of time, not to mention test taking. The expectation is that we will all learn something the same way at the same way and my brain developed in a different way than the average student. I wasn’t ready at the same time as other students and teachers did not acknowledge my earning differences. There has not been enough progress in the 21 years since I was officially diagnosed.


3 comments:

JanetK said...

great post! Thanks for sharing your perspective on ADHD first hand.

Linda said...

Thank-you Janet!
It meant a lot to my daughter to receive your comment. It was a hard step for her to share her feelings on line like that.

Humpty Dumpty said...

Please let Alicia know she did a wonderful job. She managed to state the pros and cons quite eloquently. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...