Monday, October 29, 2012

Older and Wiser?

I just got home from the dentist and my next appointments will be with an oral surgeon.

I have needed a lot of repairs done and it is just keeps getting worse.   I have never had really great teeth, but issues with my face have aggravated the situation. I have some amount of drop in the left side of my face and altered sensation.  I had a bit of speech therapy early on to physically get my tongue moving better and work on moving my lips properly.  I tended to choke sometimes when swallowing and I was always biting my cheek to the point of bleeding.  My bite is now off  too and that mixed with some facial spasms have resulted in several cracked teeth and it looks like I am about to need a couple of them pulled along with some other major repairs.

Today I questioned the dentist about a spot that had been hurting on the gum at the back of my "good"side.

It looks like I have cut a somewhat undersized wisdom tooth in the past two weeks!  I am in my mid 50's and just cut a tooth! My almost two year old grandson and I have a lot in common this month.

Yup, it's true... after all this I am apparently a whole lot older and a little bit wiser.

3 comments:

Humpty Dumpty said...

Oh, dear! Sorry your dental issues are becoming more problematic. While it is unusual for someone over the age of 40 to finally cut their wisdom teeth it is not unheard-of. My grandmother was in her mid- to late 40s when she got hers. Like you said, you are now a wee bit wiser! lol

Hope all your dental surgeries go well. :)

barbpolan said...

I hate when yet another health trouble strikes. C'mon, we've had enough medical appointments to last a lifetime.

Glynis Jolly said...

You poor thing, Linda! Being in our 50s is a real adventure, isn't it. I have a suggestion that may help you from numerous visits to the dentist in the future. Chew sugar free gum on the side of your mouth that is affected by the stroke. Chew that gum for at least an hour every day. You do not have to do it all in one shot. This suggestion helped me. I may not have full feeling on the right side of my face but both the right and left jaws are strong and when I smile both sides of my mouth go up.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...