Friday, November 30, 2012

Puppy!

The most exciting thing happening around here is that my daughter got a puppy.

This puppy is an adorable ball of energy and my own little tripping hazard. We had two dogs when the kids were little but my two younger daughters, who are still living at home, came after the puppies so they did not know what life with puppies is like.

Emily has been wanting a dog for a long time, but with my heath issues the idea of a new pet went right out the window.  Last year we got a new higher fence around our backyard so that meant one of my requirements of puppy ownership was met. I really thought that my old wood floors should be redone and sealed against puppy accidents but that never happened.

Emily has been researching dogs to find the right one for our family.
  • I have allergies to the oil on dogs coats so I need to have a dog that is more the fluffy type.
  • we needed a dog that will be good with the grand-kids who are over frequently.
  • we needed a dog that will keep Emily company on long walks and fun activities.
  • we need a dog to be a family pet and not just a one person dog.
  • Emily thinks she wants to show the dog and perhaps take part in things like agility trials.
She found a breeder nearby who had pure-bred Samoyed puppies from champion stock parents.
We visited the breeders at their home a couple of times and were thrilled with the mommy dog and her adorable 5 little balls of fluff.

Two weeks ago the breeder delivered an eight week old little boy puppy to our house.  Life changed instantly! He is very smart and cute and he has won our hearts.

Emily named the dog Jasper and she is working on teaching him the basics like sit and to go outside to pee. He needs a LOT of walking as he is really high energy.

I complained to my girl friend that I can't manage to take a turn walking him because the sidewalks are slippery and the dog pulls on his leash, tugs, bounds and runs under legs. My family is working on getting him to walk nice on a leash but it is going to take a while before he will be safe for me to walk with.  My sweet friend reassured me that I am getting plenty of exercise with puppy by rushing to get him out the door to prevent "accidents" and that sure it the truth. I need to get working on my old physiotherapy exercises and work on my stamina again ... so that I can try to keep up with Jasper.










8 comments:

Humpty Dumpty said...

He will definitely help you reach those goals! He is adorable!

Diane said...

OMG! He is adorable!!!! and I am sure he will be loads of fun and love for all of you! (plus good therapy, once trained a bit!) Nothing like a furry bundle of unconditional love to make you smile! :D

Diane said...

OMG! He is adorable!!!! and I am sure he will be loads of fun and love for all of you! (plus good therapy, once trained a bit!) Nothing like a furry bundle of unconditional love to make you smile! :D

Elizabeth, John, Jack, and Luke said...

What an adorable ball of fluff!!! I have always thought that breed looks happy. They always look like they are smiling. Enjoy his sweet little puppy kisses! If only I had a fraction of his energy! ;)

Glynis Jolly said...

Hi Linda

From what I have heard and read, Samoyeds are relatively easy to train to walk with the master/mistress without a leash. Of course, if you live in a big city, the law may not let you do that. Samoyeds are lovely dogs though. He's going to be great company once he settles down a bit.

Rebecca Dutton said...

I would love to have a dog but asking neighbors or friends to clean up the poop in my side yard violates my "even my own husband would groan" rule. I know this new addition to your family will bring you joy.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful puppy! I think pets, especially active ones like this little guy- help heal and prepare us for more than we would predict. I hope it brings your family a lot of joy.

Barb Polan said...

How adorable! And lots of fun: don't forget tug of war. You can even play "chase" with him by lunging toward him, then stepping back. Good balance practice.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...